Sunday, August 5, 2012

Recovery Run

Just a short three miler on the treadmill this evening. 26ish minutes.  Just time to think.

Yesterday's humorously hellacious WOD has left me battered and bruised.  The inside of my right thigh is black and blue from all those rope climbs, and my legs are toast from...I'm guessing the run, a mile total, lugging a Kiefer-weighted bag on my back.  

But how could I not run today?  The Women's Olympic Marathon early this morning was so inspirational.  Their effort was so impressive.  I was sad for Kara Goucher that she dropped back early as I know her goals were loftier than her results--same goes for Shalane Flanigan.  Heart-breaking, really.  My older son asked me if I could run as fast as the women in the marathon.  I laughed!  Nope, I said, they are running almost TWICE as fast as I do in marathons.  So humbling!


One of these years an American will be on the podium again.  Only two have been there before: Joan Benoit Samuelson, gold, in the debut women's marathon in 1984 and Deena Kastor, bronze, in 2004.  (I cried like a baby when she crossed the finish line.)

I'm not a night runner, but I ran around 8 PM tonight.  After a dinner, which consisted of: burger with brie & honey mustard and a stout.  And then some gelato, bacio flavored in case you wondered.  It was a calorie-filled weekend, so I was glad to finish the weekend with a good, healthy run.

No comments:

Post a Comment