Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The Beginning.

So I'm starting a new blog.  Call me crazy...yeah, I know it.

I can't find any good training program on the web that incorporates Crossfit and more traditional running training...so I'm creating one, or at least recording what I do.

I've been Crossfitting at Crossfit Reston for about five months.  I go three times a week, and hate to miss a WOD.  I love it--makes me feel strong and cool and young.  I also appreciate how many guys workout there--the increase in testosterone is such a nice balance to my estrogen-filled mom world.

I've run 5 marathons, 1 50 miler, 4 half-marathons, so...I'm no newbie.  I recently won my age group at a trail 10K (43 minutes) and shocked myself.  I knew that I was one tough cookie but DAMN I am also a fast cookie!  I turned to my daughter when I found I came in fourth overall (for women) and first in my age group and said: "I'm the fastest mom in the world!"

Now that I've realized I'm the fastest mom in the world (move over, Paula Radcliffe), I've got the Marine Corps Marathon ahead of me in 16 short weeks.  I'm aiming to kick some serious ass.

My goals in that race:

  1. Remain injury-free.
  2. Push my own limits and have fun while training.
  3. NOT puke during or after the race.
  4. Run a sub-3:40 marathon so I can...
  5. FINALLY qualify for Boston.
  6. Inspire a few people along the way, or...
  7. Keep myself motivated.

A little about me: I'm a stay-at-home mom; I've got three kids.  5 year old daughter, 3 1/2 year old son, 1 year old son.  They keep me busy as a stay-at-home mom.  Follow my parenting/reading with them here.  

4 comments:

  1. Hi!
    I am also a stay at home mom, with 2 kids. 6 year old son and 4 year old daughter. I've been crossfitting for almost 3 years now, and have ran 1 half marathon last year and 22k a couple of weeks after that on my own, with no running training whatsoever, only doing crossfit WODs.

    I am planning to run Chicago Marathon this year, but I'm notg willing to quit crossfit at all. I just found ypur training program and I love it. jus have a few questions though:
    -On tuesdays you have 2 runs somedays right?? And if so, do you them both in one session?
    -What's Yasso?
    -MP stands for Marathon Pace, right?? How do I know it??
    -If you say 4 x 1m repeat, should I rest between sets?
    -Do you do all your hill training on the treadmill??

    So sorry ti bother you with these thousands of questions, which are probably pretty obvious for more experimented runners

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish i had kept up the blog, but...life just sorta got in the way!

      On Tuesdays I usually just did speedwork. I wanted to do double workouts but that was just too ambitious for my reality right now--I have one not yet in preschool and two that like to wake before 6, so i was getting up at 4;30 to run on Tuesdays. A second workout wasn't in the cards for me...this time.

      Yasso 800s are great, hard workouts. Head to runnersworld.com for a better explanation than I can give you.

      MP is marathon pace. runnersworld.com has a calculator for that, but just put your goal time and divide by 26.2.

      yes, rest in between sets. I run slowly, I don't walk. I think I just recovered with a 400m. You want a break but don't give yourself a full recovery--the goal is to train your body to run on tired legs, and to train your mind to push yourself past your limits and the whines of your legs and the rest of your body.

      i had to do most of my hillwork on the treadmill. My kids are 5, 4, and 1 1/2, so... Not as much fun as outdoors, but you gotta make it work...

      :) good luck!

      Delete
  2. thank you for your help!!

    another question though :), did you train ALONE?? no running partner??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, alone. That sounds so sad, I guess, but with three little kids, sometimes alone can be an okay thing. My husband ran with me once a month or so when we'd get a sitter, but other than that...yup, alone.

      Delete